Friday 2 December 2011

Musings on Musical Muses: Pure Reason Revolution - The Bright Ambassadors of Morning

Like many other writers, I suspect, I find it almost impossible to sit down and get to work without listening to a good playlist of inspiring music. Etymologically speaking, the word 'music' derives from the Greek (and later Latin) word for Muse, as it was thought these goddesses inspired all creative arts and literature - so to have the work of various artists playing in the background, contributing to atmosphere and the creative mood, is rather fitting.

As I was putting together yet another playlist this afternoon - the aptly-named 'Writing Music 5' - I thought about how much they help the process along, and figured a series of posts highlighting some of these artists would be a nice little tangential path to go down.

So here we are, Musings on Musical Muses Number 1.

This is a band called Pure Reason Revolution. I listen to them a lot while I write; I find them haunting, atmospheric, a perfect fit for the tale I'm weaving. Divinely inspired, you could go so far as to say. One of those bands whose music is so hard to describe and define, because it gets underneath your skin and speaks to your heart and to your soul. They hail from London, England, and segue between prog-rock and electro-folk, if you can imagine such a thing. This track - the name taken from a line in a Pink Floyd song  - is a classic example of their earlier work.

Listen and enjoy.

Pure Reason Revolution - The Bright Ambassadors of Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment